Site Meter

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Interview With Myself October 2008


Introduction:


I am getting discouraged. I have applied for nearly 50 jobs and gone on a dozen interviews and still no offers have come. I wish I was as tough as Julia Sweeney.

I get mad at people who talk about traumatic job interviews, about going on one and getting rejected. I get rejected all the time and not only do I get rejected, but people have no problem being really specific about why I was rejected. ~Julia Sweeney

Q: Why don’t you contact one of the people who did not pick me and see if they would give you pointers on how to improve your interviewing?

A: I did. What I was told is this: , They (State employees) are just discouraged from doing something like that, because if the Hiring Officer says, “Well you didn’t have much experience with X,” then the caller goes, “Oh, but I do. . . “ and the caller starts listing all the things that should have been said earlier. It is like having a second interview for the hiring officer, and they just don’t want to get pulled into something like that.

Why are people unemployed? Because there is no work. Why is there no work? Because people are not buying products and services. Why are people not buying products and services? Because they have no money. Why do people have no money? Because they are unemployed. ~Craig Bruce

Q: Well why do you keep applying for these State Jobs?
A: The pay is better than a store clerk job, and they have benefits.

Q: Maybe you could work two part time jobs?
A: Maybe so. Maybe I could work two part time jobs and throw the morning paper. Maybe I could sell plasma too.


Q: Don’t you think a positive attitude is needed if you are going to be hired by someone who knows nothing about you?
A: Maybe.


Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude. ~Zig Ziglar

It is easier to have a positive attitude if you have a success now and then along the way. Too many set-backs in a row and the attitude gets messed up. Attitude is like a pair of white pants, and looking for a job is a long walk down a rutted muddy road. When you interview you need to be right and clean and fresh, but if you’ve been on that job hunting muddy road too long, you just aren’t free from the mud.

Q: How much longer can you wait before you have to get a flip burgers job?
A: About 10 days from today.

Failure is a detour, not a dead-end street. ~Zig Ziglar

Q: Don’t you know that what looks like failure now is just that waiting period that is always there before you achieve success?
A: No. I don’t know that.

An 'unemployed' existence is a worse negation of life than death itself. ~Jose Ortega y Gasset

Q: Well, what are you going to do? Do you have a plan B?
A: Yes. I have a plan B.

Living is a constant process of deciding what we are going to do. ~Jose Ortega y Gasset

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Add this one up " If you set your expectations low enough, you'll never be dissapointed" by buddha of hollywood. I hope you still have your sense of humor. It is essential for surviving.
Also, I have started a blog carnival dedicated to all things Zen, Buddhism and eastern philosophies. If you would like to participate you can submit your blog posting at:
Blog Carnival - zen school carnival posted at Blog Carnival listings.