Site Meter

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Writing in 21 syllables




I write every day. If you are serious about something and want to reach your potential, you have to work at it every day. You write when you don't feel like writing. That may be the hardest time to write, when you are uninspired, discouraged even, sick, in pain, when you just don't feel like writing. I'm one of those kind of people. I often don't feel like writing. Writing for me is like jogging is for those gerbil-like people who just have to get up, and go out, and trot around the lake -- rain or snow, hot or cold, every day, even if it harelips every cow in Oklahoma.

One of the things I do is, when I feel like it, I write up little prompts that I can use on the days when I don't feel like it. Here is one: I decided ahead of time that I would write little poems made up of 21 syllables. They don't have to rhyme, and they are too short to tell much of a story, they are just little snap shots of life.

21ers


1 Moonlight

I watch it float in on a bed of stars,
the moon, snuggles close,
as only the moon can.


2 Sunlight

The sun rises silently.
Yellow threads weave through the blinds,
awakening me to light.

3 Ryan Age 4

He'd dash from room to
room,
his naked heels pound on
the floor like rubber mallets.

4 Words

I dropped words, like little stones,
down an old well
and listened for a splash
that never came.

5 Questions

I ask myself this question:
Would I prefer
to taste the sugar,
or be the sugar?

6 Kathie


She leaned in
close,
her breath is moist
and warm.
Stray strands
of her hair
reach out
and touch
my face.
.

No comments: