Site Meter

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Puppy Poo and my Gentle Journey


Here is a real life example of how I struggle with myself.

I was walking my dog, Peaches, and one of the rules at this apartment complex is that when the dog poops you use a bag, pick up the droppings, and deposit it in a properly designated receptacle. Unpleasant as it is, I do this, several times a day. Peaches is amazed by my actions.

Yesterday, Peaches pooped, I cleaned up after her, we walked down to another grassy area, and she squatted to pee, and some guy driving in the parking lot yelled out the window, “You’re suppose to pick that shit up!”

I was angry. I was upset. When I got home I sat around thinking about the incident and feeling miffed. Here is what went on in my mind:

Q: I’m mad, but why am I mad?
A: Because this dude in the car accused me of something and I was totally innocent, but he doesn’t know that.
Q: But why does that bother me? I didn’t even see the guy’s face, I don’t know the guy, so why should I care?
A: I’m afraid he will complain to the apartment management and they will fuss at me, make me either move or get rid of the dog. I’m afraid he will think I’m a lazy inconsiderate clabber head.
Q: So is it fear that has got you so upset?
A: It isn’t fair for him to fuss at me for something when he didn’t know what the hell he was talking about.

Life is the movie you see through your own eyes. It makes little difference what's happening out there. It's how you take it that counts. Denis Waitley

I’m tired of reacting to everything with fear or disguised fear. Worry is fear. Anger is fear. Anxiety is fear. And fear is something that happens in my mind. Even stuff that is worthy of fear is not fear, but just something that happens. When I was hit by that pickup truck on July 22nd, I was not afraid of that truck, until I caught it in my peripheral vision speeding towards me, seconds from impact. Fear is always anticipated pain. Anticipation is something that only occurs in the mind and emotions of a being. The actual feared event is not fear, it is pain, loss, or death.

I must let go of my need for the world to love me. Kenny Loggins

Kenny Loggins is loved by millions, and still, according to his quote, he apparently still feels the need for the world to love him. If we depend on others to give us worth then we are going to be disappointed one hundred percent of the time, even when we are mostly successful in our appeal for their admiration feedback.

I cannot always control what goes on outside. But I can always control what goes on inside. Wayne Dyer

Dr. Dyer is probably right, and if you accept this quote as being a truth, then the next question is how do we control what goes on inside. That is the quest of my gentle journey. If your journey through life is not gentle it is highly likely that it is because you and I have failed to control what is going on inside of our selves. So let us explore the methods, and put into practice those actions that do enhance or inner self control.

No comments: