Site Meter

Sunday, August 10, 2008


". . . although we thought ourselves permanent, we are not. Although we thought ourselves settled, we are not. Although we thought we would last forever, we will not." ~a Buddha


If you think you have permanence then a whole list of unwise behaviors may follow:

  • Procrastination: Why do something now, when you have the rest of your endless life to do it? Of course, when asked, we say we know that no one lives forever, but that is intellectual knowledge, and not something felt in the very core of one's being.
  • Cautious fearful hesitation: Why take risks that might result in a death that could easily be avoided if we just did everything right? When someone dies it is very common to look closely to see what mistakes lead to this death. If we know where the dangers are they can be avoided and we will not end up, like those careless folk -- dead.
  • The illusion of security: We want security. We want enough money in the bank to be safe from economic collamity. We want an alarm system to keep us safe inside our homes. Some people care guns to protect themselves. These things, we think, will make us secure. We act as if we do this or that and we can avoid any unpleasantness, and live a life free of want, suffering, and death.

"We should not be like a beggar doing nothing meaningful year after year, ending up empty-handed at death." ~the Dalai Lama

Believing that life is short can have the effect of feeling that the whole experience is is pointless and surrendering to hopelessness and depression, but it can also lead to a feeling that because is it short, it is also precious and should be used.

When I was a kid I wanted to try sculpting and my parents bought me, for Christmas, 5 pounds of sculpting clay. They stressed to me how expensive this was and that I should not waste it. I was so afraid of wasting it that I waited to use it until I was sure I could do something really wonderful with the material. (This is a little like staying away from water until you know how to swim.) After years of waiting to do something perfect with that clay I discovered that it had air hardened into a useless brick of clay. I never used the gift. I was so afraid I would waste it, that I wasted it.

Don't be so afraid of wasting this short precious life that you wait, and wait, and wait, and end up wasting it. Risks can take on a less fearful role in your decisions when you accept that you end up where you end up, therefore, why not try stuff, enjoy the trip, and don't worry about avoiding the unavoidable.

". . . what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" ~Mary Oliver, The Summer Day

No comments: