Site Meter

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Stop Stompin' on your own heart

I believe in therapy, psychologists, Psychiatrists, counselors, and best friends as resources for coping with life. There is a place for mental health professionals and psychotropic medications and when it is needed, it is as important as antibiotics, or bypass surgery. But there is an aspect of it that bothers me. In my experience there has been too much dwelling on the causes of the depression and anxiety, and not enough time spend on disciplining my inner demons.

As I take my own gentle journey, I am heading for solutions, and if my problems can't be solved and eliminated, then I want to manage these threatening bullies that live within me.

One method for battling depression and fear for me is the word STOP. If the way I think and what I am thinking is making me dispondent, then the first and most immediate step to take is to STOP thinking that way.

The longer you have bought the thought, the "truer" it is. In our mental control centers we fill to overflowing the files that support what we have told ourselves most, and we throw out anything that disagrees. ~Helmstetter.

The longer you cling to your negative self-critical thoughts the more you will believe them. The self-critical thought will not feel like an opinion, it will appear to be the truth. Because these negative thoughts feel true, you will gather in the data that supports that "truth" and you will minimize or discount any evidence that conflicts with this self-critical truth.

This isn't easy to do, and I am still struggling with this daily, sometimes hourly, and sometimes moment to moment, but the thing to do when you catch yourself entertaining self-critical thinking is to say outloud, and, when alone say it loud, "STOP!"

This MANAGEMENT is NOT a SOLUTION. You stop yourself just as soon as you realize you are dis'ing yourself. Self criticial thinking and self-talk is a little like down hill skiing. Once you start it is easy to pick up speed and sooner than you think, you are unstopable.
.
Despair, sorrow, and depression are calls to turn inward, to attend to our hearts. ~Ihnen and Flynn
.
Say STOP and turn inward, attend to your heart. Say STOP and do that even when you don't want to stop. Be curious about why you are kicking yourself with self-generated insults. Focus on the present moment. Stop thinking about what when wrong in the past (guilty) or what might go wrong or could go wrong in the future (worry, fear, anxiety) and focus only on what is going on in the NOW.
.
Yes, we may have failed. Things may not have turned out the way we desired. Yes, we may feel despair and not see the way out. Yes, we may feel profound sadness. . . . sidestep the relentless commentary of your thoughts. It's a little bit like being at a party . . . stepping out. . . for air, and letting the party . . . go on. ~Ihnen and Flynn

No comments: